Re: [Fwd: ps broken]

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 19:21, Prasanna Meda wrote:

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200206/msg01866.html
>
> I also noticed  the same problem.  It  is due to
> ps trying to access the past end of    mmaped
> System.map file  in my case.  What does your
> trace show? Is this fixed in later  versions?
> It  is  mapping one  byte  more  and accessing
> that byte and is getting SIGBUS.

Back in the Linux 1.x.xx era, Linus deliberately
made an allowance for the above. It seemed, and
still seems, to be good kernel behavior. After all,
an incomplete page is padded with '\0' characters.
Why should a full page be any different?

Unfortunately, some idiot got SIGBUS into the
UNIX standard. With regret, Linus changed the
kernel. This broke even his own mkdep code
that was part of the kernel build process.

The procps-3.x.xx releases available in recent
versions of Debian no longer rely on this
wonderful old Linux feature.