Re: hdparm dma not working

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Konkle-Parker" <jjk3@msstate.edu>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 1:53 AM
Subject: hdparm dma not working

> When I try to get dma to work with my hard drive, I get the following
error:

> --
> # hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc
>
> /dev/hdc:
>   setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>   HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>   using_dma    =  0 (off)
> #
> --
>
> Does anyone know why this might happen? It's a brand new drive,
there's
> no reason this shouldn't work...

Search the archives, there was a thread on this a while back. I was
having
the exact same error message when trying to set the dma to 1.
I needed an extra option in my kernel and thus a kernel compile.
Make sure at least these are set
  CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
  CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y

For me, it also involved setting CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PIIX to yes
since my server has a PII motherboard so make sure the appropriate
chipset is loaded for your motherboard

Regards,
Benedict