Re: hdparm dma not working - dell

hi ya

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Joel Konkle-Parker wrote:

> jterris wrote:
> > I had this same problem when I was connecting a good drive
> > to an old, CMD chipset ATA-66 card. Once I replaced
> > it with a newer promise card it worked perfectly.
>
> This is a brand new (less than 2 months) old laptop from Dell, though. I
> don't think my problem is with old components, but who knows...

you need to find out which chipset they are using to talk to the ide buss

	- if the kernel you're using doesnt support the ide chipset
	( southbridge?) than it will give you "operation not permitted"
	error message for "hdparm -d 1"

and all other prior comments about what to do to fix the "enabling dma"
problems .. ( esp which kernel and which chipset )

and yeah.. dell likes to make their own proprietory variations too

c ya
alvin