Re: XMMS without X?

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 02:23:05PM -0500, Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 07:01:33AM +0800, csj wrote:
> > On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 19:22:08 -0500,
> > Bijan Soleymani wrote:
> > > If you want a solution now you might want to look at xvfb. It's
> > > an xserver that doesn't actually display anything (it uses a
> > > "virtual" framebuffer).
> >
> > But you can't switch xservers on the fly, or can you (the OP
> > doesn't want the music to stop)?
>
> That's another program: xmove.
>
> But I think he was just asking about running xmms without X.

Thanks.  I have discovered MPlayer 1.0 pre2 plays flacs, so it's a good
enough universal command line music player now :-)

But you can also use "xvfb-run xmms" with screen and xmms-shell to do
the same sort of thing, but Mplayer with screen is less of a hack.

The latter acts like a "jukebox daemon" because it stays running, but I
think I can write my scripts in a blocking fashion.

Thanks again.