Re: XMMS without X?

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 19:22:08 -0500,
Bijan Soleymani wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 04:02:07PM -0800, Tom wrote:
>
> > Anyway, it bugs me to have my music stop when I leave X.  Is
> > there way to run XMMS without X?  Something in the spirit of
> > abcde (the coolest wrapper in the world)?
>
> There's no way to run xmms without X. Witness the "X" in the
> name :) But this is something that could be fixed. You should
> probably report it as a wishlist type bug.
>
> If you want a solution now you might want to look at xvfb. It's
> an xserver that doesn't actually display anything (it uses a
> "virtual" framebuffer).

But you can't switch xservers on the fly, or can you (the OP
doesn't want the music to stop)?

For xmms alternatives, I'd recommend alsaplayer is a music player
that can run without X, (package "alsaplayer-text").  It can even
play CD's thru digital extraction (without your sound card being
physically cabled to your cdrom drive).  And no it doesn't
require alsa to run.