Re: Major network problems

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 11:02, Jon Eisenstein wrote:
> Ever since a power outage this weekend, I have no internet access in
> my Linux box (which is used as a network router). Even local loopback
> isn't working. After testing with help from #debian, it seems that
> ifconfig is acting up. When I try to ifup -v lo, I get the following:
> ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 up... ifconfig: only one address allowed for
> interface 'lo'. Same thing happens for eth0 and eth1, but with the
> gateway and broadcast lines included as well. After any of these
> commands, and when I reboot (which usually cleared any problems)
> ifconfig lists absolutely nothing, and not even ping to localhost will
> work (connect: invalid argument). Anyone have any ideas?

Could the electric surge have whacked your hard disk?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"I have been assured by a very knowing American of my
acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is
at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food,
whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt
that it will equally serve in a fricassee or a ragout."
A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR PREVENTING THE CHILDREN OF POOR PEOPLE IN
IRELAND FROM BEING A BURDEN TO THEIR PARENTS OR COUNTRY