Setting up a new Debian system. X and Gnome, no KDE

I'm setting up a new computer. I've installed Debian before, but
it has never gone completely smoothly, i.e. with a minimum of
commands typed, and zero steps re-done. I have a set of CDs.

This time I'd like to install base system, X-windows, and Gnome,
but *not* KDE. It seems to me that using dselect to select just
a few gnome packages should pull in all the packages that I need.
What is the minimal set of packages to select to get it all by
way of dependencies?

Second, more general question: the dependency links in debian
form a directed graph. Presumably, it is acyclic. That implies
that the graph contains root, interior and leaf nodes. Is their
some program which displays just the root nodes? It would be
useful answering my first question.

TIA

--
Paul E Condon