Re: How to start a user process on boot?

Hi Carsten!

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:12:53AM +0100, Carsten Schulz wrote:
I want to start a p2p program while booting. I tried to write a script for /etc/init.d it works but only as root.
I want the program starting as a user process (for security reasons).

How can root start automatically a process as a user?

Many bootscripts use start-stop-daemon which has the option -c
user:group, take a look at /etc/init.d/skeleton and modify to your
needs.

I personally run Folding@Home this way.

Other ways are sudo and su -c, or setting it setuid, but the latter
won't work for a script anyway ;)

HTH,
Flo