Re: Gaim needs kernel-headers ?

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 14:45:37 +0000
John Peter <john.peter@netcabo.pt> wrote:

> I have Sarge and 2.4.22 kernel ( installed and configured by me from
> sources).
> I allready had installed gaim_0.72-1 wich was compiled from sources and
> a.deb produced with Checkinstall .
> No kernel headers where needed - perhaps because it was built against
> the installed
> kernel?
> Now I removed (purged) the installed version, changed the distro in
> sources.list to
> sid and installed the very same version of gaim but it installed
> linux-kernel-headers
> for the 2.5.999 version - does this just mean it was built with this
> kernel ?And does
> it really need them ( the headers) ?

Recently, libc6 has changed in sid and libc6-dev now needs new
linux-kernel-headers. From Debian Weekly News:

Split Kernel Header Files. Otto Wyss [46]wondered why [47]libc6-dev
suddenly depended on [48]linux-kernel-headers. Mark Brown
[49]explained that there have always been some kernel headers included
in libc6-dev. They have just been split out into a separate package
now. Several of these headers are referenced by headers provided by
glibc which would break those headers if linux-kernel-headers is not
installed.

So you have to install linux-kernel-headers if you have libc6-dev.

If you want to check dependiencies type:
apt-cache show gaim
and check line 'Depends:'

Karol
--
|       Karol Czachorowski <narel(at)fantastyka.net>	|
|       JID: narel(at)jabber.org           GG: 2786028	|