LI then hang at boot [was Re: Troubles after upgrade to testing/unstable]

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 01:38:56PM -0500, BruceG wrote:
[cut]
> > Willem-Jan Meijer wrote:
> > > but when I wanted to boot I saw the letters LI, and after that the
> system hangs.
>
> I had the same problem after my upgrade. If you made a boot floppy during
> your initial installation, or after upgrading - you should be able to boot
> of your floppy. I put my boot floppy in the floppy drive, booted up, after
> the kernel loaded, I was where I usually am with a good running system. At
> that point, I ran Lilo and was a happy camper. I don't know if Knoppix will
> do that for you or not, I didn't try with Knoppix - just the floppy.

Yeah, WTF causes that?  I get that at seemingly random times, and I
haven't been able to diagnose it.  I can fix it by booting off the Woody
CD and choosing "Mount Existing Partition" and  "Make System Bootable",
and it adds entries for my custom kernel, but it doesn't use my
customized lilo.conf.  I have to *rerun* lilo after I boot it, and boot
again.

Is that "to be expected" when apt does something like update lilo or
something else?  Should I make a habit of rerunning lilo when in doubt,
after I apt-get upgrade?

Thanks