Troubles after upgrade to testing/unstable

Hello all,

Today I did an upgrade to testing/unstable, because I needed some new
versions of programmes.
During the upgrade there was an advice to reboot after completing the
upgrade. I did this,
but when I wanted to boot I saw the letters LI, and after that the system
hangs. Another
reboot didn't help, so I searched for my Knoppix CD and booted from it. I
chrooted to /mnt/hda1
and all of the files from the server are there.

Now I wanted to run lilo as root, but I get the message:

Knoppix:/# lilo
Fatal: open /dev/hda: Permission denied
Knoppix:/# mount
/dev/hda1 on / type reiserfs (rw)
[...]
Knoppix:/#

I chmodded the /dev/hda and /dev/hda1 to 777, but it doesn't help.

Please cc me with responses, because the mailaddress on wich I subscribed
mailserver is down.
CC address: meyer3@chello.nl

Kind regards,
Willem-Jan