Re: Troubles after upgrade to testing/unstable

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, November 08, 2003 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: Troubles after upgrade to testing/unstable

> Willem-Jan Meijer wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > Today I did an upgrade to testing/unstable, because I needed some new
> > versions of programmes.
> > During the upgrade there was an advice to reboot after completing the
> > upgrade. I did this,
> > but when I wanted to boot I saw the letters LI, and after that the
system
> > hangs. Another
> > reboot didn't help, so I searched for my Knoppix CD and booted from it.
> > chrooted to /mnt/hda1
> > and all of the files from the server are there.

I had the same problem after my upgrade. If you made a boot floppy during
your initial installation, or after upgrading - you should be able to boot
of your floppy. I put my boot floppy in the floppy drive, booted up, after
the kernel loaded, I was where I usually am with a good running system. At
that point, I ran Lilo and was a happy camper. I don't know if Knoppix will
do that for you or not, I didn't try with Knoppix - just the floppy.