Upgrade Problem..

Hi

Can anyone give me a clue about sorting this one out ?

Decided to download Debian the latest version to my experimental
machine.  The one that gets all the rough treatment.

The version that was installed was the stable version of 3.0 r0.
Changed the apt-get sources lists line to...

deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

Then I did 'apt-get dist upgrade'.  It grabbed all the packages
[470Mb] and started to install them.  Everything was fine until it
got down to joe_2.8-23_i386.deb whereupon it barfed and died.  Tried
'apt-get upgrade -f' and the following error message comes up on the
screen after Joe refuses to install...

" Unpacking replacement Joe...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/joe.potrm: line 3: /usr/bin/update-menus:
Permission denied
dpkg: warning - old post-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
/var/lib/dpkgtmp.ci/postrm: line 3: /usr/bin/update-menus: Permission
denied
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/joe_2.8-23_i386.deb
(--unpack) subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit
status 1
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/postrm: line 3: /usr/bin/update-menus: Permission
denied
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
subprocess new post-removal script returned error exit status 1
/var/cache/apt/archives/joe_2.8-23_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned and error code (1) "

After this 'apt-get upgrade' dies altogether thus causing the whole
upgrade to die.  Can't install Joe or remove it.  Can't fix it with
'apt-get upgrade -f'.  Any other option I can try to get round this ?

As things are I can use the machine but I can't install or remove
packages.

Thanks

--
Richard