more virtual terminal problems

i have a compaq armada with debian installed x runs fine, but i when i switch to a virtual terminal ctrl alt f1, ctrl alt f2, etc , i get colored stripes down the screen, its just a mess. is this anything to do with my X settings? surely not? is there any setting that changes how the virtual terminals are displayed?

i have posted this before, and was told to do the following

>Try booting with the parameter vga=normal or vga=791, and see if it
>solves your problem. If it does, add it to your /etc/lilo.conf (or what
>boot loader you are using), and run /sbin/lilo.

i changed vga=791 and that worked, but now the same problem seems to happen again. might this be something to do with my X settings? when booting everything looks fine.

thanks

peter