Re: Any simple way to add modules w/o recompiling the kernel?

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 on 07:30:19 -0500 (EST),
Andrew Perrin wrote:

> In expectation of a new palm pilot arriving soon, I need to add
> two modules to my system: usbserial and visor.  What I've done
> in the past is to do a make menuconfig; select the new modules;
> make-kpkg clean; make-kpkg --revision xx kernel_image;
> make-kpkg modules_image; cd /usr/src; dpkg -i *xx*deb; cd
> alc650; make install
>
> This is quite cumbersome and can take several hours from start
> to finish, even on my moderately fast machine. Is there some
> shortcut for adding modules to an installation whose kernel
> structure will stay basically the same?

What do you mean by "moderately fast"?  On my Duron 800 it takes
no more than half an hour to compile a kernel and build a module or
two.  On my PII-350, I remember build times of less than an
hour.  I suspect you can have the modules built by the time your
new palm arrives.  Of course, the definition of fast tends to
change with each new Intel, AMD or Apple release.