Re: Any simple way to add modules w/o recompiling the kernel?

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 07:30:19AM -0500, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> Greetings-
>
> In expectation of a new palm pilot arriving soon, I need to add two
> modules to my system: usbserial and visor.  What I've done in the past is
> to do a make menuconfig; select the new modules; make-kpkg clean;
> make-kpkg --revision xx kernel_image; make-kpkg modules_image; cd
> /usr/src; dpkg -i *xx*deb; cd alc650; make install
>
> This is quite cumbersome and can take several hours from start to finish,
> even on my moderately fast machine. Is there some shortcut for adding
> modules to an installation whose kernel structure will stay basically the
> same?

I add modules outside of debian-mode:

/usr/src/linux$ make <blah>config
/usr/src/linux$ make dep; make modules

I then copy the resulting module to the correct place in /lib/modules
and run depmod -a.

I haven't found a debianized-way of doing this quickly without a full
kernel or full module rebuild, which didn't also require nvidia\* to be
rebuilt, which needs the module unloaded, which needs X to be stopped...

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/