Re: Cannot install, upgrade, remove, etc.

Papadopoulos Alexis wrote:
Installing is impossible, whatever I do I mustn't need dpkg, it doesn't
work. Now as for the copying files from somewhere else solution, it would
be great but I have 2 problems :
1) I don't know where I could get those files
2) even if I did, as I said before if I try to replace one of the broken
files, my system immediatly reboots (now I know why)

Actually the more I'm thinking it, the more I feel in a dead-end...

If you're that bad off, I'd try to make a backup of /home and /etc, and maybe try to get the list of packages that are installed (something like "dpkg --get-selections > MyPackageSet", but I never do it right), then do a clean install. Normally you don't need to reinstall Linux, but that might be the quickest, easiest fix.

Also, as Ron mentions, it might be hardware-related, so I'd probably first run Knoppix on the box for half-an-hour or so to make sure things "feel" okay hardware-wise.

--
Kent