Re: WooHoo! Courier-Imap is imapping away! (fetchmail config)

On Thu, 2003-11-06 at 13:49, BruceG wrote:
> [...]
[snip]

> > I put fetchmail in my private crontab, via the command 'crontab -e'.
> > If you do it that way, do *not* install fetchmail in daemon mode.
> > Otherwise, the 2 methods will stomp on each other.
> >
> > --
> Okay - how do I put it in crontab? I tested, and can get my pop e-mail using
> the following command:
> fetchmail mail.bellsouth.net --protocol pop3 --username (myusername)
>
> I ran this logged on as me, and it goes into my directory - which is what I
> want it to do. My localusername is different than my name at the ISP. I also
> had to manually enter my password. What is the command I should have in my
> fetchmail command string?

When logged in as yourself, run the command:
crontab -e

Type is this, which will poll your pop address every 5 minutes:

#!/bin/sh
MAILTO=""
*/5 * * * *  /usr/bin/fetchmail

This is my ~/.fetchmailrc :

set syslog
set postmaster "me"
set no bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
poll pop.east.cox.net with proto POP3
  user 'ron.l.johnson' there with password 'snaggle' is 'me' here

Of course, 'snaggle' is not my real password, and you should change
"me" to whatever your Linux userid is.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"What's your genius, perfect 20 years too late Monday morning
quarterback answer to how the US should have responded to the
Soviet invasion of Afghanistan? Oh wait, you're just talking crap
- you don't have a real answer, you're just regurgitating crap
from NPR."
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=76597&cid=6839483