Re: xfce

Cleveland@mail.winnefox.org wrote:
Hi Kent,

Not knowing what your level of *nix knowledge is, it's hard to answer without being too terse or too simplistic.

I've been using Redhat for about a year now. I know it fairly well, but
I have to admit I'm a bit "gui dependent".

You should be able to install tasksel, and then run it, and select "X window system" to get a basic system up and running.

I didn't see X window system, but I did see desktop system. I went ahead
and installed it. Unfortunately, it installed kde and gnome with it. I
didn't see an option to have it not do that. Anyway, after installing I
type "startx" and get this error message:

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xservrc: /usr/bin/X11/X: No such file or
directory

/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xservrc: exec: /usr/bin/X11/X: cannot execute:
No such file or directory

I never have quite trusted tasksel . . . .

Okay, do this instead.

"apt-get install xbase-clients xserver-common xserver-xfree86 xfonts-base xfonts-75dpi xfonts-100dpi xfonts-scalable" and that should get you a minimal X system going.

Then run "startx".

--
Kent