Re: GUI login screen.

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 at 21:50 GMT, Hoyt Bailey penned:

> The point being an example of
> Mainframe Mentality that seems to be growing in the Linux community
> (as someone mentioned a few days ago).  Everyone should consider the
> future. What is the future of Linux?  It should be to take over the
> Windows boxes it cant happen if everyone follows RH.
> "It's just that it's so amazingly silly that people have trouble
> beliving that it is what you 'really want'." or "Debian tends to be
> geared more toward multi-user computers" an example of MM.  People
> have told me that their computer works just like I think mine should
> and they dont understand what the problem is. I think you should
> consider what is the purpose of the "faces" program which I noticed in
> my gnome start menu. Just because you dont use GUI dosent mean that
> others shouldnt and Linux isnt going to ever be as popular as Windows
> unless it becomes as user friendly as windows.  In my opinion and you
> have the freedom to feel differently.

You assume that the future of linux should be to take over the Windows
boxes.  Why?  Some people would like to see that, but that isn't the
only possible point.  Linus himself would vehemently disagree.  His
purpose for linux is to build the best damn operating system he can,
according to his definitions.  If it happens to take out the windows
market, fine, but if it doesn't, *shrug*.

If "linux" (which covers a lot of territory) becomes as user-friendly as
windows, it will become quite crackable.  That's not something that I
want.

Please consider that the reason that Debian is set up with certain
defaults is that -- brace yourself -- overwhelmingly, the debian users
like it that way.  Debian users tend to prefer security to ease of use.
Debian users tend to prefer command-line solutions to GUIs.  Debian
users tend to want to understand their system, not just use it.

There are many distros out there, and while I adore Debian, I only
recommend it to the subset of my friends who will probably appreciate
it.  There are many people who are happier with other distros.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.