Re: apt-get question

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 at 08:23 GMT, Rob Weir penned:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:40:02PM -0800, Joe Rhett said
>> With no way to go back?  Right...
>
> Notice that I said "general", by the way.  It is often possible to
> trivially downgrade packages with dpkg, but sometimes it is extremely
> difficult.  Say a package converts a config file from an old format to
> a new one.  Is it supposed to include functionality to revert that
> change?  What if the admin makes some change to the new config file
> that *can't* be represented in the old format, and then tries to
> revert it?  What if I try to roll back through fifty versions to one
> that was built against libc5?  etc, etc, etc.
>
> As you can imagine, the general solution to this is HARD.  REALLY
> HARD.

Besides which, what OS and/or software package on any system provides
easy downgrade capability?  I can't think of any.  In many cases, you
might get away with it, but in some, you're hosed.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me.  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top.