Re: The Unix Philosophy (was Re: POP3 mail fetcher that supportsunreliable connections?)

> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:34:09AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> system

>> system, I

>> in
>> >
>> > The purpose of rm is to delete files. The purpose of fetchmail is not
>> > send my emails to /dev/null. It's not ok for a program to have
>> dangerous
>> > defaults. Nowhere in the fetcmail manpage does it say:
>> > WARNING if your MTA is badly configured there will be MASSIVE LOSSAGE!
>> > If you don't know what an MTA is do not proceed!
>>
>> The purpose of fetchmail is to take mails from a pop server and
>> give it to the MTA.  If the MTA then sends it to /dev/null, in
>> *no* way is that fetchmail's fault.
>
> Ok, I know, but it would be nice if people didn't lose mail this way.
> This is all the more reason for the warning:
> WARNING if your MTA is badly configured there will be MASSIVE LOSSAGE!
> Fetchmail will blindly send it email, and can't verify where the email
> is actually going. You have been warned!

In the howtos that i found of fetchmail back when i was setting it up,
most of them told to use the "keep" command in the config file so that
it always keeps a copy on the server. That way you don't have to worry
about possible loss of data.

Benedict