Re: GUI login screen.

Hoyt Bailey wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roberto Sanchez" <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es>
To: "debian-user" <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 08:41
Subject: Re: GUI login screen.

I do not dissagree on any point.  However it should be my choice.  Should I
do something so stupid as download as root or read mail then I will be the
one to pick up what pieces are left. I am sure you have heard of welcha and
blaster, been there done that, they dont ask permission.  Maybe you dont
understand what I, and others,  want.  Idealy if the gui login screen added
3 items it would solve a lot of problems and would not incur any security
risks.
1. Reboot (If I want to go to Windows)
2. Shutdown (If I want to go to bed)
3. Text mode.(If I want to do something as root)
I have been reading this thread and I find all this very strange.
I installed Debian base (network install) and then went to Sarge .
Installed X, KDM and KDE and I have all that I used
to have in other distros - I can do all that you mention and more !
There may be ways not to have it like that but I have and didn't have to configure anything! My login GUI even present you with clickcable icons (pictures) for you to select whatever user / root you want with a single click ( no need to write the actual name ). And for the really lasy and don't-care-about-login-stuff guys you can configure the GUI
to do an auto-login!
I don't know what else you may require - it will hardly wash your car ...

Incidently Cntl-alt-del doesnt work from gnome. I expected it would.
Neither does from KDE but you can use cntl-alt-backspace and go to login screen and then
choose whatever is that you wish .
And pressing cntrl-alt-F1 goes to you first tty , cntrl-alt-F2 to the second, until cntrl-alt-F7 that gets
you back on X ( where you were in the first place ).
If your machine doesn't work like this, then you shurelly have have something strange going on ...

Good luck !

John