Failed to activate:'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon

After the most recent apt-get dist-upgrade I can no longer use the gnome windows manager. If I start gdm it allows me to login but then displays the Failed to activate:'OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon' message. If I start kdm instead it allows a choice of windows managers. icewm works but some things are missing - for example I have prog "Pysol" pysol pysol in the .icewm/toolbar file along with other programs but Pysol fails to appear on the toolbar (it use to) or in applications/games/card (it use to) although it can still be run from a terminal. If, instead of icewm, I choose gnome-session I get the Failed to activate message and must stop and restart kdm.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions to solve this problem.

Tom George