Re: GUI login screen and non-root shutdown...

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 10:56:47 -0600
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

<snip>
> I'm not sure what you're saying.
>   -- If you're logged into X, and press Ctrl-Alt-Fx, you'll switch to
> VTx (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F3 to go to VT3), and from there, if you hit
> (Ctrl-)Alt-F7 (in most cases; F5 I believe with Knoppix, etc), you'll
> switch back to your open session in X.

It's still F7 as of Knoppix v. 3.2.

>   -- If you're not logged into X, but are sitting at the GUI login
> screen (such as gdm or kdm), and you do the above procedure, you'll
> switch to the VTx, then back to the GUI login screen.
>
> If you want to shut down the GUI login screen and just have text mode,
>
> switch to VTx, and then run something like "/etc/init.d/gdm stop" as
> root. This particular command will shut down the gdm GUI login screen.

I think this is the part that was confusing him. He was trying to logout
and it was simply taking him back to the gdm login screen.
/etc/init.d/gdm stop is a much better way, as you mention.

Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

.vbs = Virus Bearing Script?