Problem with umount/umount2

Hi:

 I am using Debian unstable with the kernel that came with Knoppix 3.3
 which uses kernel 2.4.22-xfs.  I have mounted /dev/hde6 as /usr,
 /dev/hde5 as /home and /dev/hde8 as /var. When I shutdown there is
 always a message from umount2 that /usr was busy  etc, and when
 I reboot next time it always does the checking of /dev/hde6. The other
 drives appear to be unmounted cleanly.  I run unstable on another
 machine with 2.4.8, but I do not have this same trouble; man umount
 does not refer to umount 2. On the Knoppix one, man umount does refer
 to umount2. I have read some complaints about this in the lists about
 umount2 (starrting from about 2001) but there does not appear to be
 any definitive answer. I wonder whether anyone here has a handle on
 what might be happening, and why only /usr should give this problem.

 Thanks for any suggestions.

 Sebastian Canagaratna