Re: Problem with umount/umount2

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 15:33, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
> Hi:
>
>  I am using Debian unstable with the kernel that came with Knoppix 3.3
>  which uses kernel 2.4.22-xfs.  I have mounted /dev/hde6 as /usr,
>  /dev/hde5 as /home and /dev/hde8 as /var. When I shutdown there is
>  always a message from umount2 that /usr was busy  etc, and when
>  I reboot next time it always does the checking of /dev/hde6. The other
>  drives appear to be unmounted cleanly.  I run unstable on another
>  machine with 2.4.8, but I do not have this same trouble; man umount
>  does not refer to umount 2. On the Knoppix one, man umount does refer
>  to umount2. I have read some complaints about this in the lists about
>  umount2 (starrting from about 2001) but there does not appear to be
>  any definitive answer. I wonder whether anyone here has a handle on
>  what might be happening, and why only /usr should give this problem.

That is interesting.  I occasionally mount my old /opt and /usr partitions
(from my now unused RH installation) just to look at how some things were set
up.  A couple of times, I've had the same difficulty umounting the old /usr
(mounted to /mnt/hdb5, FWIW).  Sometimes the problem disappears after a
couple of days. but I don't understand what causes it.  Mine is also unstable
with a Knoppix kernel (2.4.21-xfs).

--
richard