Re: Installing/Configuring SpamAssassin and ClamAV

On Monday 03 November 2003 18:36, BruceG wrote:
> Hey all,
>
>    My mail server seems stable, so in an effort to confuse things
> even more (er, I mean to have a secure system!) - I want to check out
> SpamAssassin and an Anti-Virus tool.

Excellent! ;-)

>    I've used SpamAssassin in a stand-alone mode, filtering my KMail.
> I've never used it on a mail server. Right now I am running sendmail,
> ipopd and cyrus. I'm also running SquirrelMail from testing for a web
> front-end.
>
>    Do I need to install Procmail? My thought is that Procmail,
> SpamAssassin and ClamAV would need to be added.

If you are serious about getting confused, I would highly recommend
going for exim4, and use Exiscan so that SA can be configured to reject
spam at SMTP-time and viruses and other malware can be rejected at
SMTP-time too.  Of course you can install Procmail, Procmail is cool,
but you won't need it for this.

If you do this, you may need the following apt sources:
deb http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/exim4manpages/ woody/
deb http://www.logic.univie.ac.at/~ametzler/debian/gnutls/ woody/

>Is there a how-to on this?

Paul Johnson posted a simple one to the list not a very long time ago:
http://ursine.ca/~baloo/clamd-exiscan.txt

I had been doing just about the same thing a couple of days before
Paul's post. SA is working quite well, and rejecting a lot of crap.
That feels better than you can imagine! :-)

However, I couldn't get clamd to work... Once I set it up, it rejected
all mail, and I didn't want that... It should be straightforward, and
Paul got it going, so I don't know what I did wrong. But because of
time constraints, I've settled for rejecting MS executables for now
(that's also very easy). I may have to change that if the recent
spam-virus that carries a ZIP-file gets annoying.

> Also, ClamAV only covers some 9900 virus. Are there other
> packages that are simple to install and use that cover a larger base
> and are simple to use?

No idea... Since I have no Windoze users behind it, I don't really worry
about getting infected. I just want the garbage out of my way... :-)

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo