Re: OT Tape backup recomendations

David Purton wrote:

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:00:19AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
I recommend that you consider an external USB drive for backups.

Anything to avoid regarding linux with these beasts?

Yes. See http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/devices.php under the mass storage section.

Recently I got myself an Adaptec USB2.0 card that works with kernel 2.4.22 (didn't try earlier kernels), and a Samsung 120G disk in an IceCube enclosure. Transfer rates are not what is being touted but it's good enough for me. The Samsung disk doesn't get too hot. How reliable all that is I cannot tell yet after a few weeks. The web site tells of hickups with certain hardware. I occasionally shift only 1 or 2 GB to and from the disk. Repeated mounts/unmounts sometimes confuse the USB hotplug system.

hdparm -tT  /dev/sda1

/dev/sda1:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   584 MB in  2.00 seconds = 292.00 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   32 MB in  3.12 seconds =  10.26 MB/sec

Regards,

Andreas