Re: Partitioning

On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 20:13, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 08:03:07AM -0600, Ron Johnson (ron.l.johnson@cox.net) wrote:
> > On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 07:45, kmark+debian@pipeline.com wrote:
> > > On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > [snip]
> > > Hi,
> > > if you have lots of logs - web server, mail server - it might make sense
> > > to have a /var/log partition.
> > > Also, APT-get puts packages in /var/cache/apt/archive and maybe put that
> > > is a partition.
> > > my 2 yen.
> > > -Kev
> >
> > Hard disks are so big nowadays, is a separate partition for apt
> > really necessary?  If it ever gets too big, 'apt-get clean'.
>
> Houses are so big nowadays, is a separate room for sleeping really
> necessary?  If it ever gets too big, 'call the maid'.

????????  People need/want privacy.  My emails don't care if they
are on the same partition as OpenOffice.  How can they?  They aren't
sentient.

> Partitioning is about logically organizing the space you have, and
> setting/tuning configuration options appropriately.  If you like living
> in a warehouse, by all means do.  If you prefer not shitting in the
> open, give yourself a bathroom with a door.

Your warehouse analogy is almost the perfect justification for my
"disks are so large", fine tuning isn't as necessary anymore" notion.
For example: a house is like a partitioned hard disk.  If the family
grows and the kitchen and living get too small, or more bedrooms are
needed, major renovation is needed to move the walls, wiring, etc
around.  If, however, I lived in an "open house" (i.e. a very big
/), movable walls could be used to rearrange rooms as need be.
(Yes, it's an imperfect analogy, because of water & sewerage pipes,
and gas lines, but, after all, it's an analogy, not an equality.)

Back when disks were "small", getting a partitioning scheme right
was vital, because you usually had multiple drives, and had to
decide how optimize the space, while making sure that things like
/tmp & /var/spool didn't fill up and kill the apps.  That worry
is minimized nowadays, since capacities are so huge.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Vanity, my favorite sin."
Larry/John/Satan, "The Devil's Advocate"