Re: install local deb file

Evening,

* Haines Brown <brownh@hartford-hwp.com> [031103 12:06]:
> Osamu sama wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 03:15:06PM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> > > I've spent some time pouring over apt-HOWTO, and just don't
> > > understand. I want to use aptitude to install a local .deb file. I
> > > place it in my /storage/debs.
> > >
> > > In the HOWTO, it said to do this:
> > >
> > >   deb file:/storage debs\
> >                           ^ What is this back slash?
> > > But when I run aptitude update, it says the line is malformed.
> > >
> > > How does one use aptitude to install a local deb file?
>
> The backslash was a typo (only in my message, not in sources.list). I
> was just copying the model in apt-HOWTO (I thought). The problem seems
> to be that aptitude update will take the storage directory above and
> append it to /var/lib/apt/lists/, but I'm not sure.
>
> I'm sure there's a very simple answer to my question. I followed the
> HOWTO and only managed to create a Packages.gz file, but no idea what
> to do with it.

Put it in /storage/debs/.

Just to clarify, I would do something like:

echo "deb file:/storage/ debs/" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
dpkg-scanpackages /storages/debs /dev/null | gzip > /storage/debs/Packages.gz
apt-get update
apt-get install whatever

HTH.

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test9-looxt93c1 i686 GNU/Linux