Re: install local deb file

> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 03:15:06PM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> > I've spent some time pouring over apt-HOWTO, and just don't
> > understand. I want to use aptitude to install a local .deb file. I
> > place it in my /storage/debs.
> >
> > In the HOWTO, it said to do this:
> >
> >   deb file:/storage debs\
>                           ^ What is this back slash?
> > But when I run aptitude update, it says the line is malformed.
> >
> > How does one use aptitude to install a local deb file?

The backslash was a typo (only in my message, not in sources.list). I
was just copying the model in apt-HOWTO (I thought). The problem seems
to be that aptitude update will take the storage directory above and
append it to /var/lib/apt/lists/, but I'm not sure.

I'm sure there's a very simple answer to my question. I followed the
HOWTO and only managed to create a Packages.gz file, but no idea what
to do with it.

Haines