Re: Bootsplash in Debian

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 02:50, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Damien Solley wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for you answer, Nicolas.
> > It seems that it may indeed be a framebuffer error. Although I had
> > assumed my kernel framebuffer was working correctly (because I am
> > getting 1024x768x8 console) there is an error. My dmesg output includes:
> > $ dmesg|grep vesafb
> > vesafb: abort, cannot reserve video memory at 0xe0000000
> > vesafb: framebuffer at 0xe0000000, mapped to 0xe0969000, size 832k
> > vesafb: mode is 1024x768x8, linelength=1024, pages=0
> > vesafb: protected mode interface info at a5f3:1f5f
> > vesafb: scrolling: redraw
> >
> > If it is incapable of reserving the video memory, does this mean that
> > bootsplash won't work on this machine? It has an integrated I845
> > chipset, with only 1MB memory onboard, and shared memory via agpgart (no
> > more memory is available until after kernel boot, when it is initialized
> > with the 845patch by Christian Ziet).
> > Regards
> > Damien
>
> What kernel are you using?  How much main memory do you have?  How
> much video memory?
>
> -Roberto

Kernel is 2.4.22 from ftp.kernel.org with Con Kolivas' -ck2 patch
(includes bootsplash). I've got 512MB main memory with 1MB accessible to
the BIOS while booting. I use the 845patch to allocate a further 10MB
RAM to XFree86, but this is done during the sysinit stage, after kernel
has loaded.
Regards
Damien