gnome-session, sawfish problems on Apple Powerbook

Hi,

I'm using xfree86 4.3.0 on a PowerBook 17" laptop running Debian testing distro. I can't seem to get gnome-session to run. It just hangs and I have to kill X manually. It doesn't work from gdm or kdm either. I also have tried running it manually from an xterm.
gnome 2.2 is installed.

Has anybody else seen these problems?
Is there some broken dependencies which means I haven't got something installed which gnome needs?

Also the sawfish pager sucks!!! It seems to be a normal window and if you expand it and click in some space it creates a new page. I don't like this at all. Yuk!!!

Anyway, I really would like to get gnome up and running. Any help appreciated. Please CC me as well as the list.
Thanks,
Brendan Simon.