Re: Apt-get: move from cdrom to online-sources

On Saturday 01 November 2003 19:49, Haines Brown wrote:
> I did as you said, literally (commented out just the two proxy lines),
> and it may have gone better. This time I piped the output, so know I
> captured the entire file. It starts with a lot of this:
>
>   Err cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official i386
>       Binary-7 (20021218)] unstable/contrib Packages
>       Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD recognized by APT.
>       apt-get update cannot be used to add new CDs
>       Ign cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official i386
>       Binary-7 (20021218)] unstable/contrib Release
>
> I get this for all severel installation disks. Is this because the
> disks are listed in my /etc/apt/apt.conf file? If so, should the cdrom
> lines be removed from there; or should I just ignore all these error
> messages?
You have to remove/comment out the cdrom section of your /etc/apt/
sources.list. Then you won't get this error messages again.

> Finnally, I get to what I hope is what I am supposed to see:
>
> Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/main Packages
> Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/main Release
> Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/contrib Packages
> Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/contrib Release
> Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/non-free Packages
> Hit http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/non-free Release
> Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/main Packages
> Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/main Release
> Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/contrib Packages
> Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/contrib Release
> Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/non-free Packages
> Hit http://debian.teleglobe.net woody/non-US/non-free Release
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
>
> "Hit" is a nice word. I hope it is what I should expect.
It means that there is no newer version of the file on the server.

> But it failed the test. I wanted to install sudo, which is not on my
> distribution cdroms, and so ran:
>
> # aptitude install sudo
>
> All I get is a lot of warnings that it can't find the file on the
> cdrom disks. No sign that it tried any web respositories. It is
> reading the cdrom section of my /etc/apt/sources.list, but not its
> deb-src http... entries.
You have to remove the cdrom section of your /etc/apt/sources.list.

> Haines

Regards
	Jakob