Apt-get: move from cdrom to online-sources

I installed debian from cdrom, but now want to use apt-get (actually,
aptitude) to get on-line packages. To do this I ran netselect-apt
woody in the /etc/apt directory, and as a result built a
/etc/apt/sources list that had a US and a non-US site uncommented.

OK, so next I want to get the sudo package and run:

  # apt-get install sudo
  Reading Package Lists... Done
  Building Dependency Tree... Done
  W: Couldn't stat source package list http://ftp.br.debian.org
  woody/main Packages
     - stat (2 No such file or directory)
  ... [same for three directories in each of the two source sites
       listed in sources list]
  E: Couldn't find package sudo

I don't understand this. Apparently apt-get reads my sources.list, but
can't use it. Running apt-get update has the same result. I added
the following http subsection to /etc/apt.conf Acquire section to
enable internet sources:

  Retries "0";
  // I added this next subsection:
    Proxy "";;
    Proxy::http.us.debian.org "DIRECT";  // Specific per-host setting
    Timeout "120";
    Pipeline-Depth "5";
    // Cache Control. Note these do not work with Squid 2.0.2
    No-Cache "false";
    Max-Age "86400";     // 1 Day age on index files
    No-Store "false";    // Prevent the cache from storing archives

// Things that effect the APT dselect method
  Clean "auto";   // always|auto|prompt|never

Where did I go wrong?

Haines Brown