Re: D-link DFE-530tx

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 12:25:42PM -0500, ScruLoose said
> > The worst part is that I've heard a rumour saying the DFE-530TX comes
> > with various different chipsets, so if yours is from a different
> > batch/week/moodswing than mine, it may not be via-rhine at all. I don't
> > actually _know_ this, but I've heard it on this mailing list.
>
> I don't know if the DFE-530TX uses more than one chipset, but the
> DFE-530TX+ uses a completely different one; tulip, IIRC.  Sure screwed
> me around when I bought one of these d-link cards a few years back.

I lucked out with my recently purchased DFE-530TX: unfortunately it uses a
"newer" Chipset (VIA VT6102), which I could NOT get to work correctly with
the 2.2.x Kernel!!!  Curious since an older DFE-530TX with the VIA VT3043
Chipset has been running well in a different machine (2.2.x kernel) for a
few years now...  Although the VIA VT6102 Chipset Unit does work with
2.4.x Kernels, the Kernel detects it as a Rhine-II (even though still
labeled as a DFE-530TX)???

Lawrence Houston  --  (debian@greenfield.dyndns.org)