Re: Apt-get: move from cdrom to online-sources

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 10:23:38AM -0500, Haines Brown said
> > apt-get update has the *exact* same error?  update should try to go out
> > on the network and get the missing package lists from your debian
> > mirror.
>
> Well, no, at least not now when I try it. I was only looking at the
> end of all the response, for I can't seem to copy/paste from an
> xterm. However, this time did an eshell in emacs and saved the buffer
> that resulted from the apt-get update to a file. Here is the first few
> lines:
>
>   Err http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/main Packages
>     Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:3128 (127.0.0.1). - connect
> 	  (111 Connection refused)
>   Err http://ftp.br.debian.org woody/main Release
>     Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:3128 (127.0.0.1). - connect
> 	  (111 Connection refused)

That means apt can't reach your proxy running on localhost port 3128.
Does "netstat -pant | grep 3128" as root show it listening on any
interfaces at all?

> In the sources.list, the internet URIs are followed by CDROM URIs:
>

>   rr cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official i386
>     Binary-7 (20021218)] unstable/contrib Packages
>     Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD recognized by APT.
>     apt-get update cannot be used to add new CDs
>
> News to me! So instead of apt-get install <package>, I'd use apt-cdrom
> install <package>? But I prefer aptitude. Would it therefore be: #
> aptitude-cdrom install <package>?

No, it means you use "apt-cdrom add" to tell apt about new CDs.  Once
apt knows about the cd, then use "apt-get install whatever" as normal,
ie apt and all it's frontends will Just Work.  If the package is needed
from a CD, apt will ask you for the correct CD and wait for you to
insert it and hit enter before continuing.  The use of a CD in
transparent to the user, except for having to insert/remove it.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:    AVN overthorw security cryptanalysis pink noise monarchist