Re: Can't install networking.

Mark Healey wrote:

Ok, this is getting frustrating.

I understand. It was very frustrating for me in the beginning also.

Is it possible to get debian running without learning a bunch of
arcane hacker lore?
Simple answer? "No." Debian is not about ease of installation (as much as many people want it to be). If you want an easy-to-get-going Debian, you might want to try a commercial variant, such as Xandros.

Someone told me that booting and running the install of cd5 would
work. It didn't

All I want to do is get it installed on the hardware listed in my sig
with working networking and X.

I was able to do it with Redhat in less than an hour.

If it isn't possible for a non-hacker to do it just tell me.

It depends _GREATLY_ on what hardware you have.

Another large problem is that you're almost certainly installing woody ("stable"), which is considerably behind the leading edge, and doesn't support a lot of recent hardware "out of the box" (just like you wouldn't expect Windows NT 4.0 to work with a USB device), or Windows 2000 pre-SP3 to work with MS-Office 2003).

--
Kent