Re: Can't install networking.

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 23:11:45 -0600, Kent West wrote:

>Mark Healey wrote:

>>>According to this page:
>>>http://www.xs4all.nl/~haanjdj/broadcom.html
>>>"[the Broadcom] chip has recently become supported in stock kernels, so
>>>if you compile your own kernels, download the latest 2.4 or 2.6 release
>>>and give it a try."
>>>and according to a Debian page:
>>>http://packages.debian.org/testing/net/bcm4400-source.html
>>>"Note that the Linux kernel >= 2.4.22 includes the Broadcom 4400 driver.
>>>You may want to consider using the kernel driver instead."
>>>
>>>What kernel version do you have?
>>>

>>I don't know.  Whatever is on the CD.
>>

>Run "uname -a". If your CD is a woody ("stable") CD, and it probably is,
>you're probably running a 2.2 kernel. If so, run "apt-cache search
>kernel-image-2.4 | more" to see if you have any 2.4 kernels available on
>your CD. If you do, pick the appropriate one (like
>"kernel-image-2.4.18-586" for a fairly recent kernel for a Pentium-class
>computer, or "kernel-image-2.4.22-1-k7" for an even newer kernel for an
>AMD-K7-based computer) and install it, with a command like "apt-get
>install kernel-image-2.4.18-586". After the requisite reboot, run "uname
>-a" again to make sure you're running your new kernel, and then try to
>add the appropriate Broadcom module.

Ok, this is getting frustrating.

Is it possible to get debian running without learning a bunch of
arcane hacker lore?

Someone told me that booting and running the install of cd5 would
work. It didn't

All I want to do is get it installed on the hardware listed in my sig
with working networking and X.

I was able to do it with Redhat in less than an hour.

If it isn't possible for a non-hacker to do it just tell me.

Mark Healey
deblist@healeyonline.com

Giving debian a chance.