Re: Games for 1-2 year old child. Recommendations wanted.

klaus imgrund declaimed:
> On Sunday 05 October 2003 14:40, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Bengt Thure'e wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, but it sort of demands an internet connection. I hope I can use
> > > a very old laptop (Pentium 100), and no internet connection... Just to
> > > put her somewhere and she can hack and slash at the keyboard... :-)
> > >

> > My son has loved emacs for just this application since he was about 11
> > months old.
> >

> I know that this is probably flamebait - but is there any specific reason a
> 1-2 year old child has to play with a computer?
> I know that all the geeks have proof that this actually improves social
> interaction but I am a little old fashioned.
>
> Prost,
>
> Klaus
Klaus, I am right with you (and enjoyed Pigeon's post as well).

We imposed a zero-TV rule for our daughter. Effectively, we all quit
watching TV. Today the only video I see is rented movies, watched with
headphones after the wee one is aspleep.

So what happened? Without the TV babysitter we spent more time talking
and reading to our daughter (and to each other). She developed
sophisticated verbal skills and delights in fantasy games of her own
devising. It helped that our preschool had a rule against wearing
clothes with corporate characters or logos. Today we do use books on
tape as a babysitter. We'd planned on phasing TV back in at around 4 yrs
old, but then we found a school (Waldorf, OT flame starter :-) that
believes in no video for kids until age 10. This seems extreme to me,
but is doing no harm.

At age 6, Hannah has taught herself addition and multiplication by
counting things and asking questions, recently she discovered
multiplicative commutivity (one case, anyway) by counting a 5x6 egg
tray. I have no fear for her future achievements, there'll be plenty of
time to start on coding theory. And yes, at age two she enjoyed using a
keyboard, typing in SimpleText on my wife's Mac with the font set really
big.

As for me, without TV I've had the bliss of missing Star Search,
Survival, and lord only knows what else. As far as I can tell, the only
thing I'm missing is the Daily Show. And I _think_ I'm getting the BBC's
best thanks to video and DVD releases. Father Ted!

PM
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net