Re: Games for 1-2 year old child. Recommendations wanted.

On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 03:30:36PM -0300, klaus imgrund wrote:
> On Sunday 05 October 2003 14:40, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Oct 2003, Bengt Thure'e wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks, but it sort of demands an internet connection. I hope I can use
> > > a very old laptop (Pentium 100), and no internet connection... Just to
> > > put her somewhere and she can hack and slash at the keyboard... :-)
> > >

> > My son has loved emacs for just this application since he was about 11
> > months old.
> >

> I know that this is probably flamebait - but is there any specific reason a
> 1-2 year old child has to play with a computer?
> I know that all the geeks have proof that this actually improves social
> interaction but I am a little old fashioned.

Hmmm... Don't let 'em near the computer until they can read. Then give
'em something with an interpretive programming language. When they
know what they're doing, upgrade them to full-blown Linux with gcc.
Don't even mention games. By the time they find out what computer
games are, they'll be more interested in writing them than playing
them. They'll be much better equipped to make a positive, meaningful
contribution to computing when they grow up, and you won't have to
worry about games teaching them to shoot people accurately in the head.

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons