RE: HOWTO make a server

On Wed, 2003-10-29 at 14:52, John M. Purser wrote:
> Good Morning,
>
> My Debian box provides DNS, Firewall, and NAT for my home network like I
> think you're planning to do.  The HOWTO's are a great place to start but you
> need to read (or at least scan) the BIND, IPTABLES, etc. documentation as
> well and don't forget the README.Debian.  Many of the HOWTO's were written
> for earlier versions of Linux or for different distributions and exactly
> where to put/find the files can be tricky.
>
> My first step when I'm looking for file xyz is to run updatedb and then try
> "locate xyz".  If that doesn't work I dig through the program documentation
> to see where it should go.  Debian-user archive is another good place to
> dig.  Sometimes you fall back on your best guess as to where the Debian way
> would put it.  For instance under RedHat I put my firewall script in
> rc.local as I saw in a HOWTO.  In Debian there aint no rc.local so I moved
> the script to /etc/network and invoke it from the correct interface with the
> up switch.

DNS was a bit of a headache if you want to configure you local domain.
Notice that you will need to install the package in any case if you
don't want to configure static dns ips on you other computers.
Bind 8 and 9 work  out of the box for that but don't use your isp's dsn
server by default so should be configured.
I installed bind9 and there is also a documentation package. took some
time but the documentation is quite good.
For IPTABLES, if you don't want to start with too much reading I would
sugest one of the firewall script builders (I use shorewall and its
quite good. It also has a webmin interface so that you can configure it
from a different computer, although iirc its webmin interface is not
available in the stable version).
I know also of fwbuilder although I never used it and firestarter which
is a graphical interface.
Debian's replacement for rc.local (and much better imho) are the scripts
under /etc/rc<runlevel>.d
A name starting with K means to run the script with stop option when
entering the runlevel and S with start uption. The numbers state the
order of execution.
You usually put the script you want to run under /etc/init.d/ and then
make a link to it.
The main directories you'll be interested in under debian are
/etc/rcS.d - runs once on startup before the runlevel scripts. The place
	to put firewall startup scripts (after the network starts, the
	automatically installed script in my case is
	/etc/rcS.d/S40shorewall
/etc/rc2.d - The default runlevel in debian. Unlike redhat there are no
	two different runlevels for a graphic and non-graphic start.
/etc/rc1.d - Of less interest but this is where you go when starting
with 	linux single.
NAT is done through the firewall. You will need to compile the kernel
	with the appropriate modules. (don't know how the stock kernel 	comes).
If you've got a dedicated computer for the firewall/gateway I would also
suggest skipping X for it.