Re: PDFs on the fly with PHP

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 07:32:24PM -0500, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

What about just setting up PHP so it has limited shell access and
having the program execute ps2pdf (or another suitable alternative)
on the Web server?

Unfortunately it's for variable data PDFs (in this case ordering business cards). So I need to do more than just convert documents from one format to another.

I think this is the library I'm going to use:
http://www.ros.co.nz/pdf/

I'm still not sure how it's going to handle different fonts (and I don't
know for sure what kind of fonts the client wants to be able to use).

emma

But is it possible that whatever other software you are using has
printing or PS output capability.  In that case, you can just have it
output postcript or print to a file.  You can then either have a script
or someother program monitor the output directory for new .ps files and
then run them through ps2pdf.  Just an idea.

-Roberto