Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:51:14PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:

>     You don't have to, the onus is on them to ask, explicitly, in the body
>     of the message that they want a CC.  If they don't ask and you don't send
> that is their problem.  But sending a CC unasked you're causing unasked
> work for the person on the other end.  Generally when one does that it is
> considered rude.

Matter of opinion, as I appreciate the CC.

And since it's one of those things where people have different opinions
I found it easier to deal with it on the one receiving side with procmail
than try to convince everyone else what my desires are.

> >Is it the cc you don't like or the duplicate mail?  I like the cc's but
> >I hate the duplicates.  And (also luckily) I run Debian and with a
> >simple additions to my .procmailrc I no longer have the duplicates:
>
>     For me it is the CC.  I get a reply from them and I presume they ment
>     to send it off list.  I then reply.  Then I see the reply on list and
> realize my reply should have been on list.  However since their reply
> off-list don't contain the list headers my client (well, not this one, but
> Sylpheed-Claws and Mutt, both of which I've used in the past week) replies
> directly to them and not the list.  If I am lucky enough to read the list
> mail first (unlikely for a variety of reasons) then it goes to the right
> place.

Hum, I guess I don't have that much trouble.  I posted a question a few
days ago and got a few CC's and responded to each of those back to the
list.

But you must have a point, I guess, because every so often people
complain about getting CC'ed, but you don't often see people complain
about not getting them...

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org