Re: netiquette: CCing on lists

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:34:25AM -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> I'm going to attempt to make this a polite question, rather than a rant
> or flame ...
>
> For those of you who CC people when responding to the mailing list, why
> do you do this?  Is there some benefit to doing so of which I'm unaware?

I cc, but luckily my mailer mutt understands what you want.  That's good
because I can't keep track of what the hundreds (thousands?) of people on this
list wish, and not all of them have smart mailers to set the
Mail-Followup-To header.

Personally, I like the cc.  If I ask a question and someone
takes the time to respond I like to get that message right away
(yes, sometimes there's a delay in debian-user).  And when I reply to
someone I assume they want a response quickly, so I cc.

Is it the cc you don't like or the duplicate mail?  I like the cc's but
I hate the duplicates.  And (also luckily) I run Debian and with a
simple additions to my .procmailrc I no longer have the duplicates:

# kill the duplicates
:0 Wh: msgid.lock
| formail -D 8192 $HOME/msgid.cache

It's the spam that I'm not really that excited about.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org