Re: Spam filter recommendation

on Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 01:15:26AM +1100, Rob Weir (rweir@ertius.org) wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:41:57PM +1100, Brendan J Simon said

> > Can anyone recommend a good spam filter for Debian???
> > I use Mozilla as my mail client on an Apple PowerBook and also an Intel
> > desktop.

> > Which are the most accurate at detecting spam?
>
> This is a good question, and I've never seen a comparison of this.  SA
> + some simple procmail rules catches basically all my spam.

To four digits?

There are several multi-system comparisons, googling on multiple terms
(e.g.:  spamassassin bogofilter spambayes comparison) should turn up
results.  Freshmeat carried a good discussion a few months back.

SA tends to both catch more spam and pass more ham than other filters,
but it cna be a process hog.  Particularly significant on a low-end
server or with a large mail load.  Process limiting is very useful.

Peace.

  Backgrounder on the Caldera/SCO vs. IBM and Linux dispute.
      http://sco.iwethey.org/