Re: Spam filter recommendation

On October 27, 2003 07:41, Brendan J Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good spam filter for Debian???
> I use Mozilla as my mail client on an Apple PowerBook and also an
> Intel desktop.

Mozilla's Junk Mail Controls are quite effective and probably the
easiest to maintain. Mozilla's problem is everything else - lack of
mailing list support, maildir support and otherwise weak filters. But
its JMC is superb as far as I'm concerned.

> Are there differences in power and ease of use between all the
> various spam filters?
> Which are the most actively used and maintained?
> Which are the most accurate at detecting spam?

I use bogofilter+kmail. You have to set up about 4 filters in kmail to
get it all to work and the documentation on creating the spam and ham
databases is a little weak. But it is quite effective - it runs on all
incoming mail (including mailing list mail) and I have not had any
false positives since the first week of use.

There are others on this list who employ spam filters before the mail
ever gets to your MUA, but since I was used to Mozilla that's how I
configured kmail as well.

--
David P James
Ottawa, Ontario

There is no art which one government sooner learns of another
than that of draining money from the pockets of the people.
-Adam Smith, The Wealth of Nations