Re: Think I need ttyN where N>8...

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 03:45:58PM +0100, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm still working with the backstreet ruby kernel Andreas Schuldei has
> made available to get another seat on the machine. I had a breakthrough
> yesterday. Now my (2.4) kernel runs, and I can use one graphics card.
> Now, I just need to get the other up, with corresponding keyboard and
> mouse.
>
> I think I need to make more tty-devices, and I'm using devfs, so the
> short question is: How can I make more than the usual tty0 to tty8?
> (Because it is only those in Debian from the start, right...?)
>
> I'm not feeling very at home in this, it is quite well above my head for
> the moment. I have RTFM, http://www.atnf.csiro.au/people/rgooch/linux/
> docs/devfs.html#how-it-works to be specific, but I really don't
> understand it... So I hope someone can help... :-)
>
> mknod something....?

Since you have devfs mounted on /dev, you ought to be able to use
devices in /dev/tts directly rather than compatibility symlinks to
ttyX. If the devices are not being created, you probably need to load
a kernel module for the hardware or specify module options. Check
/var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log, and /var/log/syslog to see what
is reported about the second graphic card during boot or when the
kernel module is loaded.

--
Jerome