DevFS mounting problems (was: Re: Think I need ttyN where N>8)

Hi and thanks for the response!

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 04:23, Jerome R. Acks wrote:
> Since you have devfs mounted on /dev, you ought to be able to use
> devices in /dev/tts directly rather than compatibility symlinks to
> ttyX.

Yes. I thought so too. Anyway, you're giving me another idea, that it
may really be devfs itself I have problems with.

>If the devices are not being created, you probably need to load
> a kernel module for the hardware or specify module options. Check
> /var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log, and /var/log/syslog to see what
> is reported about the second graphic card during boot or when the
> kernel module is loaded.

The second card is a Matrox MGA 1064SG [Mystique] (and the primary is a
G450), so the driver is for both cards is mga, and that's compiled into
the kernel. I've got Xinerama running on the second card right now. So
I don't see quite how I could lack anything for the hardware... (But
obviously, I'm open to anything!)

Upon rereading the docs (another time), I found that there are known
conflicts between devfs and devpty, so I've now disabled the latter in
the kernel.

Reading
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/XFree-Local-multi-user-HOWTO/dev_files.html
(which is basically the howto I'm following) I get the impression that
mount should know about it if devfs is used. It says that
mount | grep devfs
should report something, but for me it doesn't. Which is weird.
It does seem like devfs is not mounted.

This is what can be found about devfs in my kern.log:
Oct 28 10:17:13 owl kernel: Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=Linux ro
root=301 devfs=mount
Oct 28 10:17:14 owl kernel: devfs: v1.12c (20020818) Richard Gooch
(rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Oct 28 10:17:14 owl kernel: devfs: boot_options: 0x1
Oct 28 10:17:14 owl kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
Oct 28 10:17:14 owl kernel: Mounted devfs on /dev

...so it says very clearly here, devfs is mounted, but apparently mount
doesn't agree...

I don't know if this means anything, but clearly, it must be a Bad
Sign[tm]? The Good Thing[tm] about Bad Signs[tm] is that they often
lead the way forward... :-) Do you think there is something here...?

I haven't put anything about devfs in my /etc/fstab, should I?

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo